Everyday is a Reminder of How Blessed I Am !!

Remember the post order are from most current to the past ones.

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Beginning

My name is Rachel and I am 35 yrs old. I have been married for 13 yrs to a wonderful man named Jerry. We have three blessings...Megan 13, Dawson 12, and Amy 10. I am starting a blog in attempt to keep my sanity and hopefully find answers to some questions and meet others and hear their stories.

In Jan 2010 I had a smal "pimple" come up on my left upper arm. It wlas the same color as my skin and of no concern to me. My husband kept saying "that thing has been there a while, i think you should have it looked at." Being a nurse, I put it off and figured it will go away. It did not. First part of Feb I went to family doc. He had me use some cream for a couple weeks then took it off and stated it was prob a granulation, no worries.

A couple week later i get the call its Melanoma. So i went to surgery had wide excision they traced the lymph node and removed it. PET scan and MRI negative.

It came back with no spreading to the lymph nodes but was a little over the 4 cm mark.

It was discussed to do nothing or start Interferon. I started the treatment in May IV, then started sub Q in June. It has not been nice to me. As of Monday, I will be reducing the dose in almost half.

Here are some of my questions:
1. Did anyone think the Interferon gets easier after a certain point?
2. I am taking cymbalta in the mornings, as well as Ritalin. I take ativan and zofran on days of injections. Is there anything else i should take? And does anyone else have experience with Ritalin for fatigue?
3. When is this feeling of living in fear each day going to pass?

I am eager to hear your stories. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I am so glad you started this Blog. You are such an inspiration to me. You and your family are in our prayers daily! If there is anything, we can ever do for you please let me know.
    Just remember, with the Lord in your life you can overcome anything...I know sometime we feel that he is not there for us, but rest assured HE is.
    Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. 2 Co 1:3 & 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, it's great that you've started your own blog-- I think you'll find it to be a therapeutic outlet to share your story and experiences. But if it's advice you seek, I think you'll get a lot more from folks on discussion boards like MPIP. Blogspot doesn't make it easy to leave blog comments and in my experience not a lot of people take the time to comment. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael, the biggest jump from fear seems to be when one passes the one year mark at NED (No Evidence of Disease.) I've never been really NED since the Melanoma Diagnoses.
    My blog is at:
    http://www.carepages.com/search?search%5Bterms%5D=JerryEllis
    I like the MPIP BB and Chat Room for information.
    If you go into the chat room, turn your volume up and listen for a bong when someone else come into the room. It often takes several minute for someone see you and jump over. When I can I log into chat and then open another tab to read the Bulletin Board. When I hear a bong, I jump back as fast as I can to the chat to help newcomers. Others often do the same.
    Sounds like your ma has a good name to be a good MAN!
    My blog is at:
    http://www.carepages.com/search?search%5Bterms%5D=JerryEllis
    I am JerryfromFauq on the MPIP.

    ReplyDelete